It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Critique: Nick Lenz's Root-Over-Rock Apple
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:13 pm 
Editor

This thread is for discussing Candy J. Shirey's critique on Nick Lenz's Root-Over-Rock Apple
http://www.artofbonsai.org/critiques/lenz.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:00 pm 

Candy,
A well thought out and well done critique, one which should be referred to as an example for critiques in the future. This particular tree is often overlooked when people discuss Nick's work, I am glad to see that you chose this one to critique, it is highly deserving of the honor.

I hope to see more from you in the near future, it was a pleasure reading your thoughts on this.

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:31 pm 
Editor

Beautiful critique. It addresses all the elements that really matter, when we look at a bonsai. And (this is very important), ignores all the fluff, the technicalities that people tend to talk about, when viewing a bonsai. At the end, all comes down to why a bonsai moves us, and that's what is really worth talking about.

This bonsai looks like a very unique one, and is capable of giving the viewer an insight into the nature of trees and their strong impression on our psyche.
Thanks for the great review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:23 pm 
Editor

I agree with Will and Attila.
When I first read the subheadings,it sounded like a critique of a painting.
Candy created the right "tools" to analyse a living form of art!
Very nice!
-dorothy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:00 am 

A beautiful critique; the elements have been highlighted very nicely indeed.
And a very interesting tree too, quite touching.
Shaukat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:27 pm 
Editor

Will, Attila, Dorothy, and Shaukat -
Thank-you for the kind words about the critique. I tried to give a feeling for the tree in the format of an art critique. The result of writing the critique created a surprise for me - I found more to appreciate in this specimen than when I started.

There was also a second surprise. I was surprised that you most graciously choose to comment on the critique. I am neither a proficient nor accomplished writer. The tree, however, really does reflect a proficient and accomplished artist.

The purpose for me to write and photograph this critique was to share the artistic beauty of this specimen tree. I really like this tree. Does one remotely feel the spirit of this tree in this critique? Can one appreciate the quality? Do you want to know more about this tree? Is this a significant creation?

At this point, I really wish that I could take you by the hand and walk around this tree with you and share the spirit of this tree. -my words and photographs are not enough.
-Candy

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:37 am 
Editor

Candy J. Shirey wrote:
I was surprised that you most graciously choose to comment on the critique. . Does one remotely feel the spirit of this tree in this critique?

To me, the critique was the most touching. I can only imagine the beauty of the tree, since the picture can only give you an idea, but never the real power of a bonsai.
But your critique clearly expressed your passion. That, to me, was more tangible than the tree itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:27 am 

Candy,
I agree with everything that Attila said, your critique was more moving than the tree itself. You did suceed in "taking us by the hand" and "sharing the spirit of the tree. More often than not we quickly scan Bonsai and make an assesment rather than quietly and deliberately studing all the details.
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:47 pm 
Editor

Hmmmmmmm.

Now I understand.
What a conundrum.

In an attempt to capture the spirit of the tree with expression, the tree is eclipsed by the passion of the words.

That begs the question: Are critiques a useful tool to expose the spirit of a tree? My realization is, only a very limited tool. A critique could inspire one to want to see the real tree. (Of course the real tree exposes the spirit and any representation would fall short of the real thing.)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:00 am 
Editor

Mark Arpag wrote:
Candy,
I agree with everything that Attila said, your critique was more moving than the tree itself. You did suceed in "taking us by the hand" and "sharing the spirit of the tree. More often than not we quickly scan Bonsai and make an assesment rather than quietly and deliberately studing all the details.
Mark

Mark: Maybe a little off topic, but you have to hit the iron while it's hot. Your impression states exactly what I have been trying to tell people. We often look but don't see, and this is the problem that haunts all who do bonsai. Kind of like Walter's Blind in one Eye article.

I think this critique is as much a study in seeing a bonsai as it is analytical in making a subjective assessment of a work of art. Very good on more than one plane.

As to the passion, is that not what a bonsai is supposed to stir?

Post subject: Re: Critique: Nick Lenz's Root-Over-Rock Apple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:11 pm 

I find the back of the tree to be more dynamic. Particularly the action displayed by the root aggressively stepping over the rock.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:02 pm 

haiku

TREE EMBRACING ROCK

LOVE OF NATURE WELL EXPRESSED

BEAUTY CREATED

mp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:16 pm 
Editor

Mike Page wrote:
haiku

TREE EMBRACING ROCK

LOVE OF NATURE WELL EXPRESSED

BEAUTY CREATED

mp

Nice, Mike!

-dorothy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:40 am 

Thanks, Dorothy.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:41 am 

Hello everyone, my opinion is that bonsai is a wonderful and critic that the Mr. Nick seems very accurate.
It seems to me to highlight the feminine character of the Bonsai should be planted in an oval pot, less height and a more grayish color to contrast well with the creamy color of the stone.
Greetings to all

Jose Daniel

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next