It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Editorial: But Is It Art?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:37 pm 
Editor

This thread is for discussing Attila Soos' editorial "But Is It Art?"
http://artofbonsai.org/feature_articles/isart.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:18 pm 
Editor

Attila,
Very well edited and a clear answer "Yes, it is art".
It is very exiting to see what Walter accomplished!
I cannot believe to which extent of harmony the
trees were presented together with the "other" artwork.
This event -and perhaps others to follow- can be of
immense support to create a lobby for the art of bonsai.
All we need, especially here in the states, are confessed
accomplished artists who are ready to step in-actually
out of the line..
One step could be a centralized annual exhibit, like the
Kokufu ten in Japan, following the highest quality standards.
Then you create the surrounding to integrate the fine arts and
involve the public.
It would be very dificult to concentrate on galleries only.
The "value" of art is clearly defined by the repeated successful
presentation of the artist, supported by recognized critiques.
The value is more or less monetary, also often viewed as
investment.
Everything is possible in the art of bonsai-as long as there are
people with talent and vision who become the wheels of
a movement. Thank you Walter!
I hope it is a worldwide phenomenon.
Regards,
Dorothy Schmitz, Florida

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:53 am 

Congratulations Walter on your remarkable accomplishment.

It is important to note that only bonsai that were styled to look good from all sides could have pulled this off in this environment. In the pictures above and the majority of the pictures posted at KoB, most of the bonsai are photographed from angles, angles which are anything but what some would call the front.

Walter commonly posts pictures of his bonsai which show many fronts and he has always stated that designing a bonsai to be visually pleasing from all sides is of major importance. In such an environment, nothing else would have been quite so successful.

The viewing public will always find thier own "front" and it will seldom be the one the artist would like, so it it a wise man who prepares for this by making all views pleasing.

Fantastic displays, the art has indeed advanced today.

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:32 am 

This editorial by Attila has given me immense pleasure, and the pictures looks great!

'Hats off' to Walter for his accomplishment in giving bonsai its well deserved place. There'll be more such shows to follow, I am sure, and this event in Munich can be an 'eye opener' for all to take the movement in their respective countries.

Just a note here...... our local bonsai society was refused the Art Gallery premises last year for holding the annual bonsai show on the grounds that it was not art (I confess that all exhibited bonsai do not fall into that category) nevertheless, the Gallery is letting out its space for all sorts of crafts, pottery and poster exhibitions, etc, apart from the usual fine art exhibitions......but not bonsai. Finally we got the gallery this year for our show.
Thanks again to Walter for showing us the way.
Shaukat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:02 pm 
Editor

Hi Shaukat,
I agree with you that most of the trees displayed as bonsai would not make it in the world of arts. That's because people who create bonsai often try very hard to copy other bonsai, without using their imagination. They are afraid that if they do something "creative", their peers will disapprove their work.

In order for a change to happen on a larger scale, we should start looking at bonsai as an art form, and recognize that the most important thing in art is creativity and imagination. Copying is a good training tool, but when it comes to the "real thing", our imagination is the only thing that matters.

I believe that bonsai should not automatically be classiffied as art or non-art. It always depends on the intent and talent of the individual who creates it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:02 am 

Anita Buckowing who is coordinating the 2007 Michigan All State show mentioned to me in a recent email that she would like to use this editorial with the pictures as a huge display at the show for visitors to see.

"I have been enjoying www.artofbonsai.org & I really appreciate your articles & the work on the site. I would LOVE to have a DISPLAY VERSION of the recent article by Attila Soos (w/photos by Walter Pall) - BUT IS IT ART?"

With the permission of the author and the photographer, I would be more than happy to assist her in displaying this at the show. Full credit will of course be given to the author and the photographer.

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:08 am 
Editor

Permission granted.
My pleasure,
Attila

Post subject: What is?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:22 pm 
Some feel, For an object to be thought of as art it requires at least two things, foresight and thought. Which has to require "conciousness".
The "art" of Bonsi is the reflection of life itself.
It allows "art" to give "substance" to life in a visual way, and without it you can not have the experience of "being" or conciousness.
Therefore, it is a reflection of an essential aspect of "life", which is "art" and visa versa.

Post subject: Re: What is?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:25 pm 
Editor

Anonymous wrote:
Some feel, For an object to be thought of as art it requires at least two things, foresight and thought. Which has to require "conciousness".
The "art" of Bonsi is the reflection of life itself.
It allows "art" to give "substance" to life in a visual way, and without it you can not have the experience of "being" or conciousness.
Therefore, it is a reflection of an essential aspect of "life", which is "art" and visa versa.

Can you explain that please?
Regards,
Dorothy Schmitz

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]