It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pen, The Origins of the Shallow Tray
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:55 pm 

This thread is for discussing Robert J. Barans' article, "Pen, The Origins of the Shallow Tray."
http://www.artofbonsai.org/feature_articles/pen.php

Post subject: one little problem.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:57 pm 

This is a nice article, but there seems to be one paragraph that doesn't belong. The 5th paragraph below the heading "Shang" should be deleted I'm guessing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:17 am 

Eric,
Thank you for pointing that out, it slipped right past the editors here.

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:10 pm 

Will,
I hope you understand my English. This is my first message in this forum. On the article: " Pen - The origins of the shallow tray", in case it is interesting for you I have some files, with information and images, on pots that probably date from 206 before Christ. They are Chinese vases (vassel or pottery?) of the Han dynasty in bronze and ceramic.
Another thing that I would like to know, when do you speak about "Zhou" in the text are portraying the Chou Dynasty (1122 - 255 B.C)?
I thank any for comment to respect.
Best regard?s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:13 pm 

Welcome to the forum, I have let Robert J. Barans know that you commented on his article, I am sure he would be interested.

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:26 pm 

Re: Claudio's posting. Yes, I am always interested in finding out more of the big picture. Are we talking about containers dating from the early Han dynasty which were actually used specifically for plants? There are pottery forms which might have been used for plants, but I am looking for definitive examples of early horticultural containers.
"Zhou" is the pinyin (modern transliteration of Chinese characters) version of "Chou" -- the various sources of information use a range of spellings and I have opted to primarily use the most recent form.
Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:14 pm 

Will,
I am happy in participating at this forum and I thank the reception.

Robert,
I have the digital files that show a rectangular ceramic container and other in bronze, that they were used in floral arrangement and these are very similar with the containers for bonsai. Yes, I believe that they were the first ones, but you can make me to understand better on this subject. I have great admiration for that workmanships. Up to where me know, several of the objects used in the day by day and also in rituals of the time, they served as departure bridge for the production of the containers for bonsai.
In case he has interest in receiving those files, can I send you for e-mail, ok?
They are files of high resolution of texts and images of those objects, which were gotten with digital pictures of the work " Chinese pottery of the Han Dynasty."
I thank his explanation on "Zhou."
Cl?udio C. Ratto

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]