It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gallery: William N. Valavanis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:58 pm 
Editor

This thread is for discussing the feature gallery "The Bonsai of William N. Valavanis"
http://artofbonsai.org/galleries/valavanis.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:51 pm 

As always, it's a pleasure to see images of Bill's trees - the bigger pleasure comes from spending time in his garden, soaking it all in! The care, devotion, and classic artistic talent can only truly be appreciated when you're standing in the middle of the garden, admiring 40+ years of work & knowledge. If you ever find yourself anywhere near Rochester, I would *highly* recommend giving Bill a call to see if you can avail yourself of this opportunity!
Thanks for all the inspiration, devotion, knowledge and friendship, Bill!
Best~
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:10 pm 

Hi Bill,
Great interview--nice to read about your lengthy history in the bonsai world. You certainly have been a primary mover and shaker of this wonderful art form for the American community.
also--your tree gallery is lovely.
Christine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:05 pm 

Dave and Christine,
Thanks for you wonderful comments. I'm trying...
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:38 pm 

Well... Dave stole most of my thunder. I'm relatively new to bonsai, and new to the Bonsai Society of Upstate NY, which Bill founded. My interaction with Bill is always pleasurable and educational. And what a treat to visit the International Bonsai Arboretum.
Between Bill's experience, his willingness to share, our club's amazing talent, and the world-class bonsai artists who visit our club for lectures and demos... I'm really in bonsai heaven!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:04 pm 
Editor

Bill,
I am curious about the
"Koto Hime Japanese maple (Acer palmatum 'Koto Hime')
Mother plant-trained from a cutting completely container grown since 1970. This stock plant has produced over 10,000 cuttings and most 'Koto Hime' Japanese maple bonsai in the United States are from this mother plant. Three trunks were grown to a height of three feet for propagation and they were then airlayered in 1983 to create three bonsai. All three trunks were trained into fine bonsai."
Were you the original importer or did you discover the cultivar?
-Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:13 pm 

Paul,
No I was not the original importer and I did not discover this cultivar. It originated in Japan and I took a 3 inch tall cutting from a plant introduced from Japan. Attached is a photo of the mother plant when I airlayered it in 1983. The top airlayer is the larger twin trunk bonsai in my gallery. The trunk which was removed on the right is the smaller bonsai on my gallery.

Attachments:
KOTO-HIME-AIR-LAYER.jpg [71.49 KiB]
Downloaded 308 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:00 am 

Bill, your trees & the bonsai garden are looking stunning! - Glad to were able visiting you one year ago .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:59 am 

It is deeply satisfying to view this result of so many years of dedication and skill. I have the utmost respect for Bill and the publication that nutured me for many years.

Post subject: Beautiful bonsai
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:39 am 

My humble and utmost respect for your fine bonsai. A joy to watch the detailed work clearly achieved by years of work and the aged appearance of the trees.
Regards
Morten Albek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:02 am 

Bill loves Bonsai. He loves to teach Bonsai and talk Bonsai. He loves to create and refine Bonsai. Bill has been "working" in Bonsai forever and his passion and sharing just keeps growing along with his trees and our Bonsai Society. Thanks Bill!
A note about Bills trees, check out that great old Pine Bonsai without the need for any jin or shari. Look at the amazing nebari's, they can not be faked. Notice the harmony of design, the trunk movement and branch placement and pot selection. These are artistic trees. In my opinion, no one achieves a better balance with refinement and natural beauty than Bill. If you look at pictures of Murata's Bonsai, you get a sense of great respect for nature and the changing seasons, but a little too wild. Bill's trees convey those feelings, but in a much more artistic way.
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:19 am 

Hi Bill,
Your bonsai are very beautiful. Wonderful.
Budi

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]