It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Photoshop tutorial: Virtual pot selection
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:29 am 
Editor

This thread is for discussing the photoshop tutorial by Will Heath: Virtual pot selection.
http://www.artofbonsai.org/articles/photoshop_pot.php
Best regards,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:52 am 

I don't want to necessarily pee on anyone's campfire here, but is there a problem with standing the pot in front of the tree and checking whether it looks right that way? It's what I've always done, I must admit. Might be why I have many thousands of dollars worth of pots?
By the way; if anyone has seen my 30in blue Tokoname oval tray, could you let me know? I think it might have wandered off during the reno of my house.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:04 pm 
Editor

Hector Johnson wrote:
I don't want to necessarily pee on anyone's campfire here, but is there a problem with standing the pot in front of the tree and checking whether it looks right that way? It's what I've always done, I must admit. Might be why I have many thousands of dollars worth of pots?

I think you've answered your own question. I like to use this approach when figuring out what pot to order for a tree. I also like to use it simply to learn about how trees relate to their pots.
[ Speaking of which, we could use a good article on this topic, if anyone is qualified and interested... ]
Best regards,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:32 pm 

I don't know if I'm exactly qualified, but I would be willing to contribute to such an article.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:09 pm 

Hector Johnson wrote:
I don't know if I'm exactly qualified, but I would be willing to contribute to such an article.

Perfect! I can't wait to read it.

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:35 pm 
Editor

I too would like to see this. From what I understand and seen in the past, a lot of this is subjective and....dare I say according to the rules. I would like to hear some new and constructive approaches to this subject. I would also love to hear Walter Pall's thoughts on this subject. His stuff always seems to be in the right pot.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:38 pm 

I think the method of selecting a pot to match a tree by placing it infront is a universal method in the Bonsai community, as I have seen it done by many a proffesional bonsai artist here in South Africa. Now! virtual pot selection by taking an image of the tree and then placing it on Photoshop and adding the different pots until the correct combination is achieved, is in my opinion, a very good method of saving the big bucks. I have images of most of the pots from the local suppliers on my computer and use this method time and again, especially when assisting beginners to bonsai understand the fundementals of correct pot selection.
Bernie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:39 pm 
Editor

That too is a good method as long as your soft ware will allow to play around with the size of the pot. Some of the articles in Bonsai Today point out, that this has been done with some trees just to show the proposed finished design.
However this does bring up a problem. Though you apparently can make the pot almost any size you want the question remains as to whether you will be able to obtain that pot in just that size?

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:34 pm 

Vance Wood wrote:
[However this does bring up a problem. Though you apparently can make the pot almost any size you want the question remains as to whether you will be able to obtain that pot in just that size?]
Knowing the scale of the tree and having the diamentions of each pot on file, I have no problem obtaining the correct size, one specific supplier sends a quaterly Excel listing all pots and sizes in stock.
Bernie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:03 pm 

What I do, as described, is to cut a stick lengthwise to the exact size of the pot I am considering and lay it in front of the bonsai I want the pot for before photographing it. In this way I can adjust the photo of the pot to the exact actual size. This helps because the size of a pot in a photograph is relative as it depends on how close the photo was taken and on what size the photograph is. This allows an accurate representation of the pot to the tree.

Will

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]