It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gallery: Ed Trout
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:38 pm 
Editor

This thread is for discussing the feature gallery "The Bonsai of Ed Trout"
http://www.artofbonsai.org/galleries/trout.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:46 pm 

Very nice gallery. You guy's have some great Ficus. Almost tempted to import one,but not sure how it would like it over here. regards, Peter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:07 pm 
Editor

Ed's trees are always nicely refined and detailed.His demonstrations and
workshops are a treat!
My favorite tree besides the Banyan Style Ficus is the Juniper Raft.
Talking about dynamic!The first ficus over rock has quite a dramatic
story to tell,perhaps Ed will share it later with us?
Thanks for showing us your wonderful trees Ed,
Dorothy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:33 pm 

Peter, thanks for the kind words. I also enjoyed your gallery. Beautiful trees ! And your accent plants are incredible. Wish I could do better with them here in Florida. To many weeds--to much humidity! I gave up.
Dorothy, again thanks for your comments. I'm glad you enjoy my work. And the story behind that nerifolia on a rock can be read on the Bonsai Societies of Florida website: www.bonsai-bsf.com click on the Florida Bonsai magazine, and view the online edition of the Nov 06 issue. Hope you enjoy. I think all of our trees should have a "story"---makes them more special to us!!

Post subject: Inspiration
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:59 pm 

Ed, I have to say that your bonsai (From what i've seen on the site) are some of the most beautiful I've seen. I love the pad configuration and the balance of branches/trunk/leaves. It's such a nice blend of classical and real styles. How did you manage the weeping elm? Do the branches naturally grow thin and long? Great stuff!
-Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:59 am 

Hi Adam,
Thank you for the kind words about my trees. My work is the by-product of what I have learned from many wonderful artists over the years. I hope to continue learning more.
The Chinese elm does put on long, thin growth ( at least here in South Florida ) That trait lends itself to styling it in the weeping form. Although it is a "contrived" style, I have seen elms in nature that weep. It requires constant pruning to maintain the shape, but in time, you can develope a pretty nice tree. John Naka's book has a great section on how to create & maintain the weeping style.
Best wishes,
Ed Trout Pembroke Pines, Florida

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:54 pm 

Learning never stops eh? Thank you for the advice and referral to Naka's book. I'm still a novice - I started a tree (Juniper) for my son when he was born 1 1/2 years ago and then started an azalea for my wife (which I killed... learned a valuable lesson on over-fertalizing). All that to say, It's great to be able to see and learn from professionals like yourself in a place like this.
Back to your trees... One thing I love is the first photograph (Weeping Ficus) where there are abundant visible roots, and yet the container is extremely shallow. That contrast is striking and very appealing.
Continuing to pursue knowledge... (or trying anyway...)
-Adam

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]