It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Best of Bonsai Today / AoB's Photo Contest
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:02 pm 
Editor

This thread is for discussing the feature gallery "The Best of Bonsai Today / AoB's Photo Contest"
http://artofbonsai.org/galleries/bestof.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:02 pm 

Hi Carl
Thanks for all the work you've put in to this contest. Your presentation and comments were very well done.

One in particular caught my interest and gave food for thought.

"Ficus microcarpa
Claudio Ratto entered this very nice tree, beautifully photographed. He made the interesting decision to match the oval pot with an oval stand. I don't think this is an improvement upon a rectangular stand, but I would be open to discussion on that point."

My thought on tha stand question is this. A rectangular pot is appropriately displayed on a rectangular stand. A round pot is appropriate on a round stand. So, it seems to me tnat an oval pot and oval stand would be an appropriate match.

I think Claudio's oval stand is very interesting. I've never seen one quite like it. I'd like to see a well lighted picture of the stand with no pot on it. Claudio, can you show us more? And if possible, the origin and some history about the stand.
Mike

Post subject: great contest
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:10 pm 
Editor

I think Will, Carl and the rest did a great job. I also agree with their selection of the winners and I hope this contest will continue on. I have definitely learned a lot, but I stillhave a long way to go. I enjoyed a lot the photos from Walter, I wonder if he could share some of his photography secrets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:03 am 

Thanks, Carl for the nice job! The viewing became more interesting with your very appropriate reasoning and suggestions. Budi's tree/photo is my favourite from this gallery.

I agree that the Rain Tree forest of Roberto Gerpe would really look great and much balanced if the height is reduced.

The beautiful Juniper by Antoni Payeras is really admirable and very nice. However, though the pot complements the tree nicely, a little smaller pot would be more appropriate, I think.

On Claudio Ratto's Ficus' round table.........I feel the round table does not balance well (size of the pot vis-a-vis size of the table) with the round pot considering the size/height of the tree. A flat bamboo/cane mat or a low height rectangular table would seem to be a better choice.
Shaukat

Post subject: Re: great contest
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:58 pm 
Editor

Enrique Castano wrote:
I think Will, Carl and the rest did a great job. I also agree with their selection of the winners and I hope this contest will continue on. I have definitely learned a lot, but I stillhave a long way to go. I enjoyed a lot the photos from Walter, I wonder if he could share some of his photography secrets.

Hi Enrique,
While I don't have access to Walter's photo secrets, this collection of photo tips that I put together may be interesting n the meantime:
http://octavia.zoology.washington.edu/b ... otography/
With my best regards,
Carl

Post subject: Thanks Carl
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:13 pm 
Editor

Yes I had seen and tried some, however I still need to play more with my camera and source of light to get that little improvement that makes a big difference. I will see what I can come up. Best wishes. Enrique

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:33 pm 

Mr. Carl,
Thank you so much for taking the time to discuss these photos from the contest...Although I consider your work on the 'how-to' of photographing bonsai and kusamono the most definitive writing we have on this subject, I find reading your thoughts on the many photos entered in this contest even more enlightening and educational...This article not only has a good healthy proportion of the 'how-to' but it also contains a huge amount of the 'why' of good photography...
With the internet being so widely used today we are quickly coming to a point in the art of bonsai that the photography of our trees is as important as the work we do to create and maintain them...You have certainly in my opinion become a leader in this field, and I appreciate the time you spend sharing your knowledge and thoughts so that we all may learn to be better at the 'art' of photographing our trees...
Regards
Behr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:57 pm 

Carl,
Thank you for the comments on my windswept Acacia Nigrescens, I must tell you that working with these Acacias is very painful and can get quite bloody, but the end results are well worth it. The tree is at the moment coming into full leaf and I have removed all the wire, when it is in full leaf I'll post a photo for all to see. Acacias never really develope into the windswept style in nature as it is a plains [ Savanna ] tree, but is found all over South Africa as well as the rest of Africa. Here in Pietermaritzburg the Acacia abounds, mostley on the east side of the city. The growing habit of the branches is exceptionally attractive with most branches zig-zagging.
Bernie Cramer.

Attachments:
File comment: Acacias in the gardens at Ascot Inn where I work,
DSCF3453a.jpg [128.31 KiB]
Downloaded 313 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:22 pm 

Hello Mike,
I apologize for the delay to answer you.
The oval stand was made by me about fifteen years ago. I just liked the composition I did, but it is always good to hear other people's opinion, because we always see in a personal way. See some of my bonsai stand works on the following link: http://www.bonsaidream.com.br/img/pla/trab08.jpg
I hope it likes.
I thank their critics and suggestions!
Best regards,
Mike , Roberto Gerpe is my friend , and I`ve got some comments from him , and that`s what I`m sending you now
Hi Mike ....how are you ?
My name is Roberto Gerpe , and I`m just a enthusiast of bonsai art .
I `m envolved with bonsai art for about 18 years , and a few days ago I saw the Art of Bonsai Project ....and I like it very much .
It`s a forum ....isn`t it ?
So I saw my brazilian rain tree forest there ...
I did that forest like 12 years ago...from seeds.
The picture in your forum it`s like the forest look`s like now .
I sold this forest for a friend in Brazil 6 years ago .
Now I`m living in Florida..and I didn`t see that forest so far ......
I know and I`ve got to tell you that it`s so diferent for me ..
When I was there , I was keeping all the levels...and the folliage was not that thick .
I`m so sorry for that picture....but I can tell you that I`ll be in Brazil next year and I`ll do my best to set the forest the way I like ....and you too .
Can I be in touch with you and send you some more of my works ?
Now I`m a member of Shofu bonsai of Sarasota , here in Fl .
watting for your replay ... My address is bobgerpe@yahoo.com
best rgrds ...
Roberto Gerpe .

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]