It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:00 am 

I probably should have elaborated on my comment. I see the tree as working as a naturalistic style, rather than contrived. Looking at it that way I can see it working on a slab. I have put together a virtual and will post a copy of it, as soon as I get back to a computer that allows me to access images. Clients get funny about bandwidth abuse.

Last edited by Hector Johnson on Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:04 am 

Jerry,
The second picture, the Ficus microcarpa is quite an amazing bonsai. The trunk movement, Nebai, and foliage play off of each other well. The only improvement I might make, were this my tree, would be a shallower oval pot.
Excellent bonsai, thanks so much for sharing your work here on AOB in the galleries.

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:05 pm 

Will, how about a shallow green oval? If you spot a pot that would fit this tree I'll try to save up and buy the pot. About a 28 inch oval would do.
Hector, looking forward to your virtual.
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:06 am 

At last. Here's the virtual I promised.

As I said, I think the balance works a lot better if it's able to enjoy a more naturalistic setting, like a slab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:06 am 

Hector,
Nice virtual on the slab. It really does work well on the stone. Will look around for a suitable candidate in springtime. Right now all my rock is under about 3 feet of snow. The tree is under only 6 inches of the white stuff.
Thanks.
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:14 pm 

If the rocks are 3 ft down and the tree is 6in down then you need taller benches, Jerry!
Merry Xmas, by the way.
H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:06 am 

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all as well.
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:27 pm 

Hey Jerry,
How would you feel about removing the bottom left branch on the last pinus , and taking a more minimilist approach. I don't know the history of this tree, nor if this more or less finished, but to my eye the movement of the trunk line and the foliage mass as a whole is conflicting. I see the trunk sweeping up and to the right beautifully, but the foliage seems to be falling off to the left, as if it is falling off the back while the tree is moving to the right.
I think it could be more dramatic with edits, I'll try a sketch, if I may be so bold.
crabs><>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:35 am 

Crabs, love to see your idea in graphic format. Can't tell from your description.
Jerry

Post subject: The first of a thought process
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:12 am 

Making these suggestions are a learning experience for me, so feedback is encouraged.
This was my first rough idea, very minimilistic, but it evolved into my next pic. This one i concluded didn't look right to me because of the way the foliage and trunk movement clash. thats my opinion anyway.
i have to link to another site where 'my gallery' is, i am used to uploading from my maching and don't know how else to get images here, sorry.
crabs><>
http://www.bonsaichat.org/forums/photop ... 0/ppuser/6

Post subject: Second of thought process
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:15 am 

Better?
This was my thought after viewing the first sketch, and your pic of the pinus itself. what do you think.
crabs><>
http://www.bonsaichat.org/forums/photop ... 0/ppuser/6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:32 pm 

Crabs,
Your images are a bit too simplified for my taste. They are certainly different interpretations of the basic tree's trunk and flow.
One question I always ask myself is it better or just different? In this case my personal artistic interpretation is that they are different.
Just my opinion.
Jerry

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:57 pm 

You know I like to sketch these trees, its a learning experience for me. Thank you for your reply to my suggestion, sometimes I just see something different from what the tree is originally designed like, and like to throw it out there and see what the more experienced folk think.
peace
crabs><>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:10 pm 

Crabs,
I do not think its experience that makes your -or my- impression more correct. Its your eye and brain and experiences that formulate a concept or pattern. I think that we all see things a bit differently, mercifully!
Your ideas are not less valid because of experience. They may be more valid.
Sorry to belabor the point.
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:16 pm 

Not belabored, encouaging maybe that you don't see my idea here as a 'bad' idea, just a 'different' idea.
crabs><>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next