It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Winter Walking for Bonsai
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:56 pm 

This thread is for discussion of the article "Winter Walking for Bonsai" by Russell Marchant

http://artofbonsai.org/feature_articles ... alking.php

Post subject: Re: Winter Walking for Bonsai
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:30 am 

Hello to all on the forum, I am new here as a contributor but have enjoyed reading it for some time. I agree with Russell, winter walking is an excellent opportunity to study the habit and form of trees. This is particularly true of deciduous trees, which have a huge variation in growth habits that can only be well observed when bare of foliage. Many deciduous growth habits are poorly emulated in bonsai and this is a great shame as careful observation and serious contemplation of the brancing structure of trees in winter would help diverify the forms recreated in bonsai. One of my greatest pleasures on a winter walk is to consider the diferences in branching structure between various genera and species.

Consider the huge variation in habit (growth and branching structure) between species of Fraxinus, Tilia, Acer and Quercus that can be observed on a walk in the British countryside on a cold December day. One can also observe the differences in habit and form that develop as a tree passes from young to mature to ancient... the places in which branches thicken to suport their weight, or the points at which storms tear off branches and how the tree resculpts its canopy to compensate for such a loss.

I have just returned from South Wales coast, where I walked with my wife and her family; there one can observe the difference in form between trees exposed to the full force of the wind and those sheltered within the combes (small stream valleys). Some of the witch elms, hawthorns and filed maples I saw out there were truely inspiring... I will post photos for all if I work out how.

Post subject: Re: Winter Walking for Bonsai
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:14 pm 

Some images as promised:

You can see more on my new blog.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]