It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:12 pm 

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is within 100 miles, is there a sound? Of course there is the potential for sound, but no recognition.
If a person works with a medium that has artistic potential but is never seen by others, is art produced? Maybe there is, but without recognition there can't be any certainty.
I believe that any work of art that gains recognition as such by a consensus of the knowledgeable, will allow the individual that produced the work to refer to herself or himself as an artist.
My 2 cents worth. Nothing more.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Page on Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:57 pm 
Editor

The consensus Mike is talking about is a good point.
It depends on which definition of art we are using. There is a strict definition of art (widely accepted by the art community, it's called the "institutional definition of art") stating that art is defined by the consensus of a select few individuals who represent the art establishment. Each art form has its unofficial establishment. These people are the art museum curators, art academy members, owners of high profile art galleries. They have the power deciding what art is.
In the case of bonsai, the "establishment" is represented by the organizers and jury members of high profile exhibits such as Kokufu-ten, Gafu-ten, Gingko, etc. and a number of high profile bonsai artists and masters. They pretty much set the standard as to what is considered art in bonsai, and consequently who are the artists.
There is of course a much more liberal definition of the term, according to which anybody can call himself an artist as long as he intends to create art.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:26 am 

I'm of a view that is at odds with the contention art isn't art until someone sees it.
There are numerous instances of art being brought to the attention of the world by benefactors, such as Paul Guillaume in Paris in the 1920s. (He left a massive collection of Renoirs, Picassos, Gauguins andModiglianis). In fact, he practically created the Modernist movement, by acting as its benefactor.
I think it's a little disingenuous to suggest that none of their work was art until it was shown to the public.
Of course, I could be persuaded to change my mind if you can show me photographs of Schr?dinger's Black Pine.

Post subject: Re: I am an artist
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:39 pm 

All the idiots that are posting non-bonsai tests and images on this site should read this admonition on the opening page.

"The Art of Bonsai Project is an online journal and community for the examination and exploration of the bonsai art form."

"This is the bonsai artist's home on the Web."

READ and HEED!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2