It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kusamono: Melancholy
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:43 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:45 am 
Editor

Richard,
Care to tell us a little about the meaning behind the title of this one?
-Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:23 am 

Hi Carl.
I'm not sure that I can put it into words very well for you.
Once the alpine plant (whatever it is - sorry I am the antichrist of taxonomic classification), came into flower, with its almost black flowers next to the almost black mondo grass, it gave me a feeling of sadness. I tried to photograph it in its almost black world to emphasize this. Perhaps it is colour association on my part, perhaps it is knowing that the flowers will not last very long, perhaps I was just having a sad day? Perhaps giving kusamono emotions, is egregiously pretentious too.
All the best,
Richard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:48 pm 

Preconcieved notions?
Now I don't know if it was because of the title, or because of the way this was photographed, or because of the plants themselves, but this feels claustrophobic and very still (almost stagnant) to me. I think the use of the mat with rigid lines adds to the feeling, and the white stand creates a slightly sterile feeling as well.
I find my eye looking for movement and flow of line. But disturbingly, I find that once I look at it, my eye "doesn't have anywhere else to go." The blades of grass seem to entrap the other plant. The fact that it is flowering does seem to be sad in this presentation.
But I REALLY can't tell at this moment if it is because the title on the post was so evocative.
I'm interested to know if this was an intentional pairing of mat, stand, and plant to evoke the feeling, or more happenstance? It does certainly match the title.
Do you mind describing your photo set up? I'm still wrestling with finding a setup that works...

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:11 pm 
Editor

Richard Fish wrote:
Perhaps giving kusamono emotions, is egregiously pretentious too.

I have a problem with giving a title to the arrangement. It interferes with looking at it with an open mind. Every time I look at it, I am searching for something to justify the title "Melancholy", and that gets me frustrated. I find the experience a little draining.
If there was no title, I would just take whatever comes out of looking at it, and it would be much more stimulating.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]