It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mugo Pine
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:28 pm 
Editor

Working on mastering photography. This Mugo is the product of about nine years of work from 3 gallon nursery container to bonsai pot. The tree is not finished, and the spring buds have not as yet opened. I am kind of hesitant to post but what they hey, here is an unfinished work. Originally inspired by some photographs of a Jeffery Pine growing on the rim of the Grand Canyon.

Attachments:
FSBMugo06sharp300dpi1000pxl.jpg [169.7 KiB]
Downloaded 713 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:32 am 
Editor

Hi Vance,
Nice tree. You've done a good job of capturing that canyon-rim feeling.
I might want to see the upper canopy brought down closer to the lower primary branch - right now, the division between the two makes the tree appear to fork and leaves the eye unsure which line to follow.
I'd personally rather see the tree centered on the stand, for the reasons that Attila lays out so nicely in his article on the Role of the stand.
Finally, as a minor technical comment, be careful when using photoshop to paint out spots or highlights on the black background. Your background isn't quite black whereas your blackout spots are, leaving funny black circles. I try to either adjust the curves to set the background to pure black, or, alternatively, to clone over the spot from a nearby region of the same not-quite-black hue.
Best regards,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:52 am 
Editor

Hi Carl:
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I think with the photography I have finally gotten it off the ground, now I have to master the details.
The tree I appreciate the suggestions and have been thinking the same thing, it is a little disjointed.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]